View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Belt_Up
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom
Re: Atemi, Tae Kwon Do and Aikido

http://aikieast.blogspot.co.uk/2009/...in-aikido.html - Ledyard Sensei's article on atemi is a good one.

Quote:
Well, in my opinion, it is not a matter of making pre-set combat scenarios like "if he does that,how can i apply this"
In Japanese martial arts there is a concept called Mushin and it actually means "no-mind". No mind or empty mind is not of course as in being stupid but in being empty of pre arranged thought about any scenario or any technique that you might use so that, at the moment of danger, your training will automaticaly kick in and you will be in control without realizing it.
This leads to another Aikido concept of Take mushu aiki, the essence of which is to be able, without any concious thinking or analysing, to apply the right technique for that speciffic situation with no hesitation...I wouldn't recomend any kind of kicking during a real confrontation because they are very compromising for one's ballance. Keeping both feet on the ground and our tanden grounded too is the most important factor in terms of ballance in a fight.
That's a little contradictory. You shouldn't rule out doing anything, yet no kicking? I know there isn't a lot of room for the type of high kicks one associates with TKD in a real confrontation, but there will be times when they and other kicks are applicable. Not as often as other things, perhaps, but still.

Quote:
In any case no system can compliment another system because no matter how effective both can be, they have different basic principles, so trying to mix them you usually get the one in the way of the other with no result.
I'm going to quote from Steven J. Pearlman's The Book of Martial Power here, so apologies if anyone gets bored.

Quote:
...principles are universal to all martial arts. For us to consider it a principle, it must apply equally to all styles, irrespective of national origin and whether they are hard, soft, internal, external, long ranged, short ranged, striking based, grappling based etc...A "principle" that exists in one style but not another, or in some styles but not all, cannot be a true principle...It still might be a valuable technique or method....consider Newton's Third Law of Motion: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." That truth applies to all martial arts, regardless of their nationality, combative objective, range(s) of combat, or the nature of their techniques.
I know what you mean, in that different martial arts have different methodologies, and they may or may not complement one another.

Personally, I've a newfound appreciation for the use of the elbow and the knee, regarding atemi.