View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea
Re: Teachine outline needed

James,

A good book on the topic: Martial Arts Instruction: Applying Educational Theory & Communication Techniques in the Dojo by Lawrence A. Kane. While this is not an Aikido centric book, it does have some good ideas about teaching a martial art. Additionally, the British Aikido Board (BAB) which serves as an umbrella organization for all aikido in the UK for insurance and certification of instructors, teaches "Coach" certification courses. They have a pretty good "scheme of work" for laying out the program for the coming year. While the BAB does not enforce the use of any type of structured syllabus for the various dojos under it, the formatting which is easily formatable in an excell spread sheet would readily allow you to program out all of your classes for any given time period. I like it, but since I'm not the primary instructor where I train, I don't currently use it. I've scanned the scheme of work for a 10 class beginners' scheme of work that I created. Feel free to use it if you like. If you want to have the excel spread sheet for the blank scheme of work, send me an email and I'll email it to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf StIvesAikidoBeginnersCourseSchemeowork20071226.pdf (1.06 MB, 46 views)