View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: Arm locks... really???????

Ok Graham, don't get your knickers in a twist , I wasn't knocking BJJ, i think it's great. You are quite right, it's hard to access a knife when falling. The first part of the vid showed the guy being held on the ground by gripping his wrists. the choke out came much later. if a guy gets you in a rear naked choke and knows what they are doing you are pretty well screwed, no argument. i simply expressed my responses to the idea of arm bars, and chokes for that matter, as mostly only feasible in one on one, unarmed combat. Emphasis on the word mostly. I know one thing there is nothing that works all of the time on everyone, there are loads of things that work some of the time on some of the people.

"Being strangled tends to hamper your motor skills (and trying to pull a knife, rather than counter the strangle is tactically dubious, since you're interested in that aspect)." True that, but if I had a blade i'd rather go for that than counter first. Of course, it's all a question of timing, position, leverage and awareness. Technique based thinking is a roulette game as far as I am concerned.
regards, Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.