View Single Post
Old 04-01-2002, 07:42 AM   #20
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Bugei studies RE.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
Believe it or not, there people here is North America over 100,000 years ago, as documented by archeological digs in the last ten years.
Huh? Bruce, I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but I have no clue what you're on about. I understand a little about Native American history and all, and twig to the idea that you're enamored of the culture and philosophy of the American Indians, but what does this have to do with Karl's essay?

And from sources _I_ have seen, human habitation of this continent has been pushed back to about 13,000 or 14,000 years ago, but not likely, 100,000. Also note that many of the current theories about Neolithic human migration to North America are under serious scrutiny right now.

I also note that MUCH of what passes in today's popular culture for Native American philosophy and religion is really, very, very romanticized and some of it is just plain manufactured.

Sad that so many rich and proud cultures just got subsumed. But (and this is no apologia for European expansionism), it is the way of the world. There is no native culture, anywhere. Humans move, they fight, they conquer, they divide, they rebuild, recreate, and then do it all over again.

There are only cultures with a few centuries (or something approaching a millennia at MOST) or roots in one spot. They came from somewhere else and supplanted folks who were living there before them -- who came from somewhere else ultimately.

It's who we are. It's what we do ...

Chuck