View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #28
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece
Re: degenerate menisci: end of aikido training?

Hi Alex!
Quote:
Alex Wilde wrote: View Post
Did you get an operation at your knees? is it worn out bone cartilage you have, or are your menisci also damaged?
i was diagnosed with knee chondromalacia (actually my knee cartilage, the surfaces that cover the bones at the edges sort of speaking, are heavily damaged-degenerated due to the stress they suffer at earlier age) and my meniscus also show signs of damage. Hence the pain. No, i chose not to undergo surgery back then and i stand firm on this decision even today. I can walk, run, do Aikido and all sorts of exercises almost pain-free lately. So why bother? If at a later age the pain returns and becomes severe, we will see then!

Quote:
Alex Wilde wrote: View Post
BTW do you do suwariwaza or seiza?
I do both, do them a lot, and i love every moment of it! It does not hurt a bit doing suwari waza or seiza and this is because (to my understanding) i have been doing it for 8 years now. i will sit in seiza at home with every chance i get and do suwari waza at the dojo with every chance i get as well. I reckon the knees adapted to the situation and somehow got stronger around the area of concern. I am telling you, it only hurts (mildly) when getting up after doing prolonged ukemi.

i can only advise you as follows: do get the opinion of an expert in athletic trauma (someone that deals with athlete's injuries all the time) not just any orthopedic surgeon. Listen to what they have to say, they deal with similar injuries all the time.
Then think for yourself. You know your body, both its abilities and its limitations. Through Aikido one learns to listen better to what the body can do or cannot do. Be wise upon the choice of the exercises that you can do with safety and the ones that might end up in more trauma. Train in Aikido but also protect yourself.
You will be fine.
All the best