View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #19
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikijujutsu - ow ow ow

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
The reason I said what I did about O Sensei is because I have read from so many people that he threw them in a way that they couldn't understand and they hardly felt anything or similar statements like that. What I saw fits that description. Realizing that Sokaku Takeda probably showed him some of those techniques, I realized that he would have had quite an advantage over "regular" people if he kept that to himself. It may be a reason he wouldn't repeat techniques other than the standard reasons given.
There are some old timers in other organizations who have admitted to me in personal conversations that Koichi Tohei Sensei threw them in ways they yet don't quite understand and in which they felt nothing or hardly anything. I have had the pleasure with learning from some of guys training 50 years and who throw with extremely effective and subtle. I don't quite understand how they are doing it but they keep showing me even though I get it only in a theoretical sense at this point. But it isn't hear say for me, it's direct experience. I am just skeptical of the perceived need to go cross-train in Daito Ryu. It just appears like looking for greener pastures rather plowing your own field with fertilizer. I respect those who have chosen Daito Ryu. Just having trained with Kondo Sensei at the Aiki Expo, I wonder why some want to straddle the fence and try to study both.
Of course, I will freely admit to spending a great deal of time training in Iaido/Iai-jutsu, so I am not really one to talk.