View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Your own concept of Tokui waza

What is your own idea of the Tokui waza (favorite technique or special technique, depending on who translates it) concept?

Back when I first started practicing aikido then playing judo, I found that I had certain actual, individual techniques that I always liked to work on, I was extremely good at them, and could work my partner/opponent into giving me those openings to execute that specific technique if they weren't actually trying to defeat that one thing.

Now that it's been more than 20 years I find that it isn't just those isolated techniques, but concepts, such as the "how" of a good wristlock that really intrigues me and I just love to work on those, talk about them, practice and teach them, etc.

What about yourself? If a beginner, go ahead and tell us what you like to do most and why? For you... mmm... more mature practitioners, what keeps your juices flowing when you step on the mat? I'm just curious to see what people are out there enjoying about their practice.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.