View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: Did Aikido fail you in "real life"?

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
Look over the responses to the post. Apparently, most people get it...
I take this part back. One or two posts stood out, then I reread. I don't know if "most people" feel the same way.

BTW, I did make it into a JJ (emphasis on ground) studio.

The guys larger than me, when they were able to take me down (twice) kept me down pretty easy once on top of me. However, they couldn't get any pins because of the sensitivity developed from Aikido.

I took them down more than they took me (then I got tired as can be...and that's when they took me down.)

The guys my size and smaller (three dans) couldn't take me down. Once down, they could, at best, only call it a stalemate.

I didn't have the pins for it. However, the pins are in Aikido (I just spend my time working on other stuff).

Being that I've never done any serious ground work, I'd say that it was something of a triumph for me as far goes my Aikido.

It's the artist, not the art.

I did confirm something from the trips: Aikido does have all the same stuff. It's just on the ground.

I will, however, concede one thing that's been on my mind since the conversation: If you want to learn ground faster, go to a ground school.

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 02-15-2006 at 12:58 PM.