View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #24
Budogirl
Dojo: USAF
United_States
Re: Treating pain?

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
To me those are two completely different statements.

It sounds like you treated bad pain as if it was good pain, and paid the cost.

To me 'good pain' means things like temporarily aching muscles after a heavy work-out, for example. Things that AREN'T a sign of an injury. Or running and being tired and breathing hard but continuing to run. They are signs of exertion and pushing yourself, and may need to be balanced with recovery times after practice to regain (and gain) strength, but they aren't signs of imminent or existing injury.... With those kinds of things, a certain amount of pushing through them eventually makes you stronger (literally and physically, not just psychologically).

Pushing through 'bad' pain causes injuries or makes existing injuries worse. Maybe you choose to do so anyway, but if so it should be with the knowledge that you're likely damaging your body.

From what I see around me, knee pain is one of those ones that it's rarely a good idea to ignore.
Hey,

You hit the nail on the head.

I had people around me who told me that the "mild" soreness in my knee was a sign of good training, that would go away. it was never excrutiating....Then one day my knee blew up and i went to the sports doctor...

I agree with your statements completely.

I think this gentleman should get medical advice and train accordingly.