Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 AM   #63
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Ahmed Altalib wrote: View Post
Okay
When I asked the question at hand I was looking for Aikido techniques and I seem to have got alternatives like:

1) Use a weapon
2) Gouge the eyes
3) Learn BJJ/Wrestling

Frankly these answers (specially coming from Aikidoka's) concern me because it reflects mental desperation and panic when it comes to BJJ as for the first two (weapons and gouging eyes) I think resorting to either one defeats the whole purpose of Aikido if applied by an Aikidoka since Aikido is mainly about redirecting one's energy = having control of the situation.
Not sure about eye gouge or etc etc... but weapon work is clearly part of aikido syllabus. Using weapon defeats the purpose of aikido, you say? Maybe for you, but many practitioners do not think so.

Quote:
As for learning BJJ well its the easy way out yes but doing so equals losing faith in the whole art of Aikido and its effectiveness where its not Aikido anymore but BJJ so thanks but no thanks
Realize this Ahmed, no one art can give you complete coverage. Each art has a specialization Analogy:. Life insurance is just that, take care of your next of kins after your passing whereas medical insurance take care of you when you fall ill... they were not designed to do each other's role.

Quote:
Thank to all of those who contributed to this discussion specially those who answered my question and mentioned some Aikido techniques - Mary Turner, Nafis Zahir and Xu Wenfung.
You did not realize I was being T3H FUNNY when I simply burped out some random Japanese term.

Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.