View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #25
ryback
Re: No, the world is not becoming a more violent place so what are you getting out of

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
It was easy to miss, Yannis -- you wrote a big blob of a paragraph that conflates several different ideas, so don't blame your audience for failing to extract "the point" from all that. It takes some effort, but I think that your points, plural, seem to be:

1. I, Yannis, don't like statistics and believe that they are deceptive, useless and misleading when discussing safety and violence.

2. Even where violence is statistically low, the consequences to individuals is high and not mitigated by statistics.

3. The statement that "the world is not so violent" cannot be logically supported by any number of statistics (or, for that matter, personal anecdotes); however, it CAN be legitimately refuted by a single violent incident.

4. Aikido is "a way for one to develope himself physically,mentally and spiritually and to give him the chance to lead a ballanced life and to be in control of his life." All other definitions are null and void.

5. If there were more trained martial artists than non-trained people, fewer people would dare to attack someone.

Is that about right?
Part of it is right and part it is not.It's not important,my original thoughts on the matter are in my original post,no matter how big,dense and incomprehensible it may be.Anybody who would like to read them it would be better to read my "big blob of a paragraph" than any...translations.So if he is to trash it,he can trash the real thing.
No problem,these are just my ideas.Remember:
I STATE them,you HATE them!