Thread: Ikkajo Control
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #22
Buck
United_States
Re: Ikkajo Control

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
OK, try this question: You claim that where the hand makes contact -- with the elbow or above it -- is a "nuance" that has no "overwhelming result on the impact of the waza." Several other posters have suggested reasons why they consider one option more advantageous. Question -- what specific experiences or considerations lead you to consider this a mere nuance of no real importance, and why should we consider your view to be well-founded instead of poorly founded or unfounded?

Not about bickering, and not about personalities. Just a simple question you should be able to answer -- how do you know?

This question isn't off topic, it's necessary for you to answer in order for us to understand what you've contributed to this technical discussion and the statements you've made evaluating the importance of a particular technical detail in a particular technique.

So, if you choose not to answer it, it would seem you're signalling that people who need this information should ignore your contribution.
Great question David my friend, I answered that very good question already. I happened to put the answer in a couple of posts. As that is laborious for all to go back through those posts, and read them, I will put it here in a abridged form.

Basically, what I was saying is as long as the hand is behind the elbow its all good. No need to worry about an exact location. Some people place the secondary hand at mid-arm. And others, like myself, place the secondary hand close to the elbow. And there are some who place the secondary hand on the elbow. When you visit other dojos and other styles, you will see this and other different hand placements. Allot of attention for some is focused on exact secondary hand placement, but that is not where the meat of the waza lies. As I said, if you place both hands on the lower arm then that is a problem. But, it's not a problem if the hand is above the elbow on the upper arm or more up on the upper arm. That is more of a matter of splitting hairs and lends itself more to preservation of technique, or adhering to the way one school teaches it and does it vs. another other.