View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada
Talking Re: Who's missing out?

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Ha, ha, maybe you are right. Maybe I am guilty of presenting it in an overexuberant way myself.

To me it's a clear concept and thus presenting things from that clarity all together leads to misinterpretation. However, on review if I were to start a new thread it would probably have to be about five new threads for that one concept.

Otherwise I could always use the word I instead.

Broken down the o/p subject is this 1) Promoting what you do only which means putting it there and sharing. 2) Examining the principles behind modern advertising and seeing how they are similar principles to pressure selling. 3) Seeing and understanding those principles finding out where we operate from the same principles, mostly unwittingly. 4) Becoming aware of just how often we do and just how unnecessary it actually is.

Now the point is it's not to do with selling or being a salesman literally so can you tell me an example of when you have operated from such principles 'like' a salesman? I'll give you an example:

I boast about something. At such time I am advertising in said arrogant manner. I am at that time showing the traits described in the o/p.

I say how my Aikido is the Real Aikido or the best Aikido or similar. I am now entering into the same realm of what a pressure salesman does for he too has it, but for him as a job, to prove his product is the best or the real deal. Thus I am acting like a salesman.

Imagine applying this to politics ha, ha. You could end up with a super salesman prime minister or president......ha, ha. Perish the thought.

Peace.G.
I basically agree with you, but we have to realize that there are always going to be people that think certain aikido is fantastic and certain other aikido is worse than worthless. It's a legitimate opinion that a person might express without necessarily trying to "advertise" something.

Whether a person perceives an opinion as advertising or reacts to it as such is not under the control of the original opinion-expresser. If it really is opinion and one disagrees, express disagreement (or not) and move on.

Of course, it is also possible that the opinion is being expressed for the purposes of promotion, in which case it is up to the receiver to accept or reject the message (agree or disagree). If it really is advertising, decide whether you want what is advertised and move on.

We don't argue with the television when it tells us that a brand of noodles other than our favorite is "the best", but I do think that what you call "pressure selling" is counter-productive and annoying. It turns me off and seems kind of cheesy (unless it's for noodles, in which case cheesy is a good thing).

Conrad

Last edited by Conrad Gus : 10-10-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammar again - D'OH!