View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #25
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Aiki-Ken vs reality

Quote:
Nick Porter wrote: View Post
To put it as briefly as I can and save your having to read a long reply: Aikido sword work is used to refine aikido and it does that very well. However, its martial efficacy when compared to traditional kenjutsu is unfavorable at best.

Nick
If "aiki sword" was actually developing ones ability to do sword work with "aiki". which most sword work I see does not, then it would me martially effective.

Sword can be summed up fairly simply, cut the other fellow before he cuts you. Classical sword styles develop real swordsmen, Aikido sword does not, nor is it trying to. Like the empty hand work in Aikido, aiki sword is about connection. It requires sensitivity, a relaxed body and mind, and speed enough that one can take advantage of a perceived opening in the instant it is perceived.

If one were to develop these things sufficiently, one could, in theory, give a real swordsman a time of it because in a real confrontation with blades it is likely to be over on the first cut. One, the other, or both are finished on the first pass. So having lots of technique under ones belt, understanding all sorts of tricks, understanding of various timings etc. still, in the end comes down to cutting the other guy first.

As has been discussed many times before, it is impossible to attack without creating an opening. O-Sensei's sword was about not being open. It was about being so connected that any attacker, no matter how skilled, would find himself unable to attack because there simply was no opening.

So aiki sword work that focuses on developing that sort of connection would be "effective" martially. But the fact is, very little sword work actually does this. Even most of the so-called "classical" styles are either bogus styles or have bogus teachers. There simply is not much true koryu around. If you wish to find those folks, go to Koryu Books. Almost all the real folks are represented somewhere on their site.

In my opinion, "aiki sword" work should focus primarily on the mental side of the practice while keeping the technical side fairly simple. Longer forms with lots of back and forth do train you to relax if you start to train at a faster pace... you simply won't be able to respond fast enough if you have tension. But don't mistake what is going on in aiki sword for what is going on in koryu training. If you want to be a swordsman, study a sword style. If you want to do sword that makes your Aikido better, keep it simple, keep it intense, and focus on connection.

By the way, that clip was bad... sorry, but it was. Hope the guy in questions isn't on the forums...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com