View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
Kent Enfield

United_States
Re: Aiki-Ken vs reality

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
If you compare the cut of an average Kendoka to that of the average Kenjutsuka (who cuts regularly) I'm sure the Kendoka will be found lacking.
The what? What the heck is the average kenjutsuka? And does the average kenjutsuka actually do tameshigiri regularly?

The cutting mechanics of Katori Shinto Ryu aren't the same as those of Kashima Shin Ryu aren't the same as those of Hokushin Itto Ryu aren't the same as those of Shinkage Ryu . . . Sure, you can generalize, but I'd bet for every point there's at least one group out there that does it differently. Talking about the cut of the average kenjutsu practitioner is akin to discussing the reproductive organs of the average human.

Tameshigiri seems to be regular practice for only a few koryu as well as the Toyama Ryu family.

Now, besides having god-awful mechanics from the point of view of simply cutting, most of the aikido "swordwork" I've seen is full of gaping suki and demonstrates a poor understanding of maai--often these two are related.

Kentokuseisei