View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Aiki-Ken vs reality

Keith,
Have you ever seen someone who's trained in boxing fight their first fight?

On the bag, they may hit quite well. They may do bag drills like a champ. They have great footwork, and excellent timing. However most of the time, the first time they actually box with someone all that goes out the window and they look like they've never trained in a boxing gym.

What I'm getting at here is that the pressure of the actual fight makes things very different then they may seem from the sidelines. I'm not saying that you can't learn things about the sword (proper grip, ways to cut, timing, footwork etc.). I'm just saying that you can not become a sword fighter with out fighting.

Since none of us are sword fighters we are all just making estimations about what we need to do if in a sword fight. I think everyone who gets down and works with a sword has an honest opinion. Some opinions might seem good, and some opinions might seem bad, but they are all just opinions. We can't judge anyones success rate from their training methods. We can't do this because no one fights to the death with live Japanese swords any more.

Last edited by ChrisHein : 06-14-2009 at 11:12 AM.