View Single Post
Old 04-17-2002, 05:27 AM   #20
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
Okay...
If I take the Bruce's question as it and as i think he wants it to be taken then I would say YES. If I throw away all the spiritual side and the fact that this question is completely absurd.
Why?
I mean... try imagining boxers preparing for regualr World Championships while in training they are not allowed to touch an opponent?

But rules is what makes a thing out of something else... in this case Aikido out of free fighting.

But some part of me really misses that I cannot test how hard do I have to push to cause an injury - of course I know how hard I can push WITHOUT an injury but it's not really the same and even not the opposite. I miss that I can't throw a full atemi at an inexperieced uke because I don't know if he will put a hand for protection or not (smashed nose).

The hitting sports put on some paddings and it's ok... but what do we do? There are no paddings for joints...

I think we wouldn't MASTER AIKIDO quicker as it has the spiritual side and harmony and blah blah. BUT I think if such possibility existed we would be so much more confident and calm when we need physically to applicate what we have learned in the Dojo.

Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai
Riveta Sportsclub