View Single Post
Old 06-13-2002, 02:00 PM   #58
henry brown

Dojo: Soseikan, Worth IL
I really hate the way that promotion tests are called "tests". I would really favor if people used a word like "recital". A test is an event where the intent is often to find out what you don't know, whereas a recital is an opportunity to show-off what you do know.

I was recently at my kids' piano recital, where there were a group of children of various ages and expertise. Each child was assigned some pieces a month or two in advance (it least it seemed that long after hearing them over and over), just as aikido students know what will be required of them at each 'test'. No one gave the little kids "11th kyu" in piano, or the older kids "shodan". Still, it was pretty clear from their performances where each child stood.

So, I don't think ranks are particularly useful in terms of measuring an individual's technical expertise. I think they do have some meaning as some sort of combination of technical know-how and dojo reponsibilities. Someone at 1st or 2nd kyu should be prepared to help introduce newer students to dojo etiquette as well as technique. Dan ranks should have teaching and dojo responsibilities.