View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #68
lbb
United_States
Re: Third Wave Aikido

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Hierarchy is no longer inevitable. Network is the paradigm of organization that is steadily replacing the old hierarchies across all areas of human endeavor. Technologically hierarchy is fighting a rearguard action -- but the tools they are forced to use are themselves the tools of network -- and the dissonance gets greater and greater, as hierarchy gets more precarious, and the stakes get higher.
What do you mean by "Technologically"? Within the field of technology? Isn't that a rather narrow slice of human endeavor, as contrasted with "all areas"?

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Governance systems do not require hierarchy. Knowledge does not require hierarchy. Standards do not require hierarchy. One can make the case in fact that hierarchy is inversely associated with all three of these goods.
You missed my point entirely. It's not a matter of what is required, nor what is functional, nor what is good. It's a matter of what human beings tend to do. What is best for us, what we are capable of, what our potential is...all of these are distinct (and far too often not overlapping) with what we actually do.

Is hierarchy inevitable? I'd argue that it isn't...but I'd also argue that it's a human tendency. The creation of hierarchy is the result of collective inaction/inertia on the part of the many, of good intentions on the part of some, and of energetic greed, empire-building and the desire to be on top of the pile on the part of a few. If you want to create a collective human endeavor without hierarchy, it must start with a very clear vision of what you want (and a realistic recognition of these human tendencies), and be followed thereafter with a constant struggle to prevent hierarchy from creeping in. It can't start from a "clear vision" on the part of a single iconoclast with a soapbox; an iconoclast's so-called "vision" is an anti-vision, by definition. It has to start with a vision of what you want to create, and it has to inspire more than just you and the mouse in your pocket. And not only does it not have to start with a vision that is broadly shared, but I'd argue that it's a mistake to start by seeking broad support. Inspire a few, then put your money where your mouth is. Create the thing you claim to want, even on the smallest scale, and inspire more people by the evidence of its merits. Proselytism always smacks of desperation.