View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #52
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States
Re: Third Wave Aikido

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Given the widely diverse forms of Aikido practiced today, can you make a convincing case that "a radical and progressive evolution in Aikido" is necessary?
Hey Ron, so far in this thread there are have been contributions and citings by a number of aikidoka, including some serious heavyweights. I'll recap them, just so we can get a sense of progressive pattern emerging.

This is far from my idea, or any kind of "group" I'm trying to organize. See what the people below in the quotes have to say. And we're just getting started with this. I can list many many more.

Quote:
Corky Quakenbush wrote: View Post
My students have attained a higher level of understanding of the principles of aiki within a year or two than I had come to understand in ten to twenty years of training in the technique emulation model.
Yamada:
Quote:
The ranking system in aikido is another headache. I personally disagree with this system. A teaching certificate is okay, a black belt is okay. But after that, no numbers, no shodan, no nidan, etc. The dan ranking system creates a competitive mind, because people judge others.
Yamada:
Quote:
The time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality.
Ledyard:
Quote:
I think at the end of 8 to 10 yrs of training properly, we could end up with someone who currently operates at a fairly high Dan rank. In other words, after 8 - 10 years of training we would have someone who functions at or better than what passes for 6th dan at this point.
Okamoto:
Quote:
If we are to survive, we must appeal to the new generation. I want to update the old-fashioned image of Budo, without losing the essence.
Nishio:
Quote:
Budo must always reflect its surroundings. If it isn't newer and stronger, it isn't valid.