View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #8
Christopher Gee

Dojo: United Traditional Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: What did O Sensei do that was so special...?

Thanks for all comments....

Ani, I have no doubt that aikido is 'cool'.

But what is really different about Aikido compared to the other bugei?

For example, technicially, other bugei considered kuzushi as an essential element in thier practice, yet people will say that kuzushi is a 'unique' element to Aikido....

I would imagine that his political connections gave him great weight. I just wonder that Aikido got to the masses because of who O sensei knew, not necessarily what he knew.

I don't mean to play devils advocate, but I will just for a second. As I mentioned, and citing the words of D Skoss and E Amdur, to name but a few. We read the incredible enlightment of the past samurai masters, which, O Sensei was not. O sensei did live in interesting times, but by no means tested his skill like the samurai during the 1500s. Again, I am not saying that what I practice, which is Aikido is of no value. I am just curious as to what 'aikido', specficially technically has that other bugei don't.

It is said that aikido is the samurai art, yet, much in the same way, as me, an englishman is related to my past brothers in the cradle of life, we are far removed.

I put it out there, that aikido has nothing new, the spirit of the life giving sword has always existed in bugei. The prinicples of Marishiten, the goddess of war, has been the central stone in the bugei house hold. When looking at the principles that this deity advocates, lethality has been as much a foundation as compassion. The 7 prinicples of the samurai, remembered in cotton (or polyester) in ones hakama advocate the same things.

So what is really different?

Why didnt Katori Shinto Ryu become a world wide phenomenon?

Why did Jigaro Kano, a man that studied many bugei say that aikido was the ideal budo? Yet, even though he said this many of the traditional katas practiced in judo are Tenjin Shinyo Ryu and not anthing to do with aikido....

Osu