View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan
Re: What did O Sensei do that was so special...?

1. he was an amazing philosopher.
2. created aikido, something that is different than what existed before, even if it is similar.
3.he trained the people who trained the people we learn from now.

I admit I don't read as much as some people, but when I do hear quotes of Osensei, they are pretty cool. What's more, I talk with people who have practiced aikido all their lives, what they have to say is pretty cool and demonstrates to me that the philosophies of aikido are about how to live, not just about martial arts, techniques or whatever. I think that it's difficult for people who did not actually know the living human being to get a full sense of what a great person Osensei was. my sensei is the deshi of Bansen sensei, deshi of Osensei. Hearing my sensei talk about his sensei, I can tell that he has a great respect for him, in the same way that I have respect for my sensei. I listen to what he says and repeat it when I explain techniques to people with less experience. Isn't that how it happens? tradition, right, by word of mouth and by example. The fact that there are amazing people out their doing aikido and living according to its philosophies is good enough to prove to me Osensei was a great man.