Thread: Spiritual Power
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #51
DH
United_States
Re: Spiritual Power

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Missing my point. Why am I not surprised...

If you study waterfalls, you will become acquainted with power, whether power is your reason for studying them or not. Likewise with aiki.

Of course, I guess I'm making a brash assumption that those who study aikido are in fact interested in understanding aiki. But if you're not, maybe you should call your art something else.

Katherine
Sometimes I think your mind is like a laser.....

Aikido people rarely encounter Aiki. For many, they don't know what it is, how to manifest it, and what power has to do with it. The understanding they have of power is totally western and that is why you see many of them noodle, evade, and essentially run away from contact. There are quite a few videos here of people almost afraid to use their arms because all they do is resist and use muscle when they do. Essentially they have no idea what the hell Ueshiba was even talking about.

Real power, that will last, is soft and exists in duality in a way alien to them. In fact it is the lack of understanding of sustaining and manifesting duality, that is at the heart of their constant failure. When they cannot access you, cannot put force into you, their every move and weight shift reveals their feet, their center and they are exposed, then they finally listen. These things require power of a type and in way that is of a higher level than they have experienced. And at it's core that type of power has nothing to do with Power Proud™ that power, is different than aiki.

Quote:
Of course, I guess I'm making a brash assumption that those who study aikido are in fact interested in understanding aiki. But if you're not, maybe you should call your art something else
The crew in Seattle was imitating what some people act like... laughing and putting their fingers in their ears and going La La La.......
All I know is that in person with the Aikido-ka I keep meeting. All debate ends...in person. Pretty much the internet is the only safe haven for people to theorize and feel what they do works equally to someone who actually trains aiki. As time goes by they are going to have to avoid more and more of the Aikido-ka who are actually training the way that we now know O sensei was talking about.
All the best
Dan