View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #30
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Koshinage

Quote:
Salim Shaw wrote: View Post
Koshinage (hip throw) allows you turn your opponent while pulling him onto his hips then straightens his knees and throws him over onto his back.

A powerful technique with some many variations that can be applied. Perhaps one of the more aggressive techniques that is not practiced a lot in most Aikido dojos. I came across this interesting video showing variations. How often do you practice this technique in your dojo? Do you use the many variations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E_nJn8nu30
Our dojo doesn't do it very often, and I don't think it appears on any tests until second kyu or higher (Thank God).

As a technique, I don't like it because it assumes your attacker isn't significantly bigger than you, yet there's no way you could do it in that situation. You'd have to use something else. From a training perspective, I think it's not basic in Aikido for the simple reason that you will be hitting the mat dozens of times during the class anyway, and doing it from a high fall for the better part of an hour would be hard on anybody. It's one thing to be thrown to the mat and then grapple; it's another to be thrown that way fifty times in a row.

Makes me glad I've never been tested, because I don't like it. And given that I'm a little heavier than most in the dojo, they're probably glad I don't like it!