View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
ChristianW
Dojo: Aiki Shuren Dojo, Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark
Aikido After Hip Replacement

Hi
I'm an aikido-ka from Copenhagen, Denmark with 25 years of experience in karate and only 3 years in aikido.
I am happily married to the mother of our two daughters of 17 and 21 years. They are not into aikido. "Old mans hobby" as they say. My wife understands me better. She did karate too, but has now devoted herself to yoga.
I am a teacher and teaches gymnastics and psychology in a "second chance school".
My sensei, Ethan Weisgard, recomended Aikiweb to me as being the forum to get answers to my concern:
My hip is singing its last song. Within 1-3 years I shall have a hip replacement. In karate there are many people who returns to their karatepractise after having one, even two hipreplacements with little or no problems. Some of them continue to kick high others do not.
I have not yet found any body in aikido with a hipreplacement, and therefore i have no info.
Are there anybody out there on Aikiweb who can ease my worries: how about breakfalls on a new hip. Is that a no-go or can it be done?
Looking forward to hearing from the aiki-world.