Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #495
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
That's an attempt to rewrite history.
* His aikido- is the aiki of Daito ryu and is the modified waza of Daito ryu.
* Takeda was the one who gave him his power...aiki. Which he referred to as his power for the rest of his life. He never mentioned aiki before Takeda's stay with him at Ayabe.
* His reputation for great physical strength had already been noted, yet it did not help him at all, with Takeda or with some tough military students. In fact, when he first met Takeda, Takeda left him crying- slumped in the corner.
* Interestingly, the only other arts he was known to have studied had already occurred.
* His enlightenment, by his own admission (in the early 20's) came to him shortly after Takeda's stay with him and it was all about aiki. As he said to his son aiki informed his spiritual pursuits.

Once you have these skills, you continue to grow your entire life. Which Ueshiba did do, right along with Sagawa and Kodo. A smart Johnnie will continue to experiment absorb and add things. With Ueshiba, Sagawa and Kodo they cannot be considered-they would in fact never had been discussed- if it were not for Takeda.
While remain a great fan of Ueshiba, without Takeda, Ueshiba would have been a nobody in the world of Budo and we would not be here discussing him.
Dan
1) This crying slumped in a corner statement I've never seen. Then I would add what's it's significance? Why do people say this? I've seen many big men crying 'in a corner' It's the type of statement I would question the user on.

2) Never heard him quote it as his power either. Have heard him say what his power is though on many occasions.

3) His Aikido is totally different to the aiki of Takeda. Thus so is his Aiki.

4) That aiki you talk about would assist any spiritual pursuits, ask a yogi. So does different forms of breathing and many other things.

5) I believe if it wasn't for Ueshiba then Takeda wouldn't even be considered. In fact I would say it was due to Ueshiba and the promotions of his son that saved the declining daito ryo itself.

Regards.G.