View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #20
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Iaito Sword Question

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
That's interesting to here about the Paul Chen Iaito. I guess I have too much bias against them for the steel knives they used to pass off as swords in the past. Have to give them another look.
I hear ya! I've also put my mitts on some fairly junky pieces of .
I'm not a PC salesperson, nor do I play one in my dojo, but I can say that the balance is good and the saya is clean and balanced on my Iaito. Maybe over time PC has had a chance to get a coupla good tools together.
I'm also a musician and I've seen more than one company refine certain aspects of their product lines to finally meet the demands of a pocket conscious, quality discerning, market ; if ony with one good product line. Yamaha acoustic guitars come immediately to mind. After 30 years on the guitar, I now play boutique crafted guitars that cost about $3,000. When I started a $300 job got me going, muy bueno!

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
That comment about Muso styles made me smile, my 2.7 shaku zinc/beryllium alloy monster is fortunately exceptionally balanced. It's a bit heavier (Dotanuki Masakuni koshirae style) than the aluminum versions. Had it nine years now and definitely showing signs of wear all over, will be hard to replace the old friend when the time comes.
Wabi-Sabi

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems