View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
KIT
Re: Force on Force Dynamics

Chris

Judo for MMA:

Okay. First off, throws DON'T end fights. Some do, some don't. You deal with what you get.

Having successfully adapted Judo for police work, I don't agree with you. Improperly adapted Judo, leaves you open for all sorts of stuff, but so does improperly adapted aikido, aikijujutsu, trad jujutsu, BJJ, MMA, whatever -all share similar dangerous habits from the respective rules of their competitions, their training, or their rituals.

Officers Always Winning:

If you are always training the officer as "winning" you are not training properly. That is low level, introductory stuff, which granted most people get.

It is by no means advanced training, and is not at all reflected in the video I posted which shows the good guy being disarmed and shot. But you need motivated students who can accept and adapt to that "advanced" stuff (regardless of how new they are) and understand its usefulness.

RE "smoothness with Ju" I don't get what you are trying to say. If you mean the instructor so outclasses the student it deflates him, I think the burden is on the instructor.

It is a poor instructor who cannot adjust his teaching and his receiving skills to elicit the proper behaviors from the student, and to do so progressively. Ultimately that does mean smashing the student, when the student is ready to be smashed.

In this way modern training has some similarities with koryu. There is a reason that the senior teacher is always in the uke role in combative arts. The senior should know just how much pressure the student can handle to draw the best out of him, while not crushing him, leaving him mentally depressed and defeated, and then sending him out to the wolves without the proper mindset.

We are getting into more complicated training theory, though.

Kevin addressed another aspect with his comment on over training - we are typically training against people with far greater ability, positional dominance, timing, etc. than ,most of those we will face;

This is a GOOD thing when trained properly, since it does two things:

It prepares us for the trained assailant, and it ups our edge when the odds are against us even against lesser skilled assailants;

And it prepares us to have greater leeway, a more level headedness, when we can dominate a real world suspect, even an extremely violent one.

This leads to LESS use of force and LESS injury, and/or a greater margin of safety for the officer when lethal force is justified, and a greater base from which to articulate a higher use of force.

Kevin is tracking and adding great details.