View Single Post
Old 04-02-2001, 12:50 PM   #9
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
I think the point I'm trying to get at, barring any malignant acne obscuring my view , is; I believe that practicing Aikido alone (via aiki-taiso) or what have you, is important. I understand that you learn application of waza through paired practice, but you may get more out of your waza by studying your own body and your own mindset.
You may find that in paired practice the level of relaxation you achieve in Aiki-taiso doesn't happen. You learned this from taking an introspective look at yourself, not from throwing uke until it felt right. Same with weight underside, ki extension, and shodo seisu.

To follow the analogy Tomu gave: Don't worry about the zit, but find what led up to you having the zit and see if there is anything you can do to keep it from happening again.

Aiki-taiso is an aid to help you understand what is happening to your mind and body when you perform the fundamental movements in Aikido.
Be more in tune with yourself. Listen to your body, and what it tells you.

If you are in harmony with yourself, I believe it will be a heck of a lot easier to harmonize with someone else.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos