United_States
Re: True Warfare

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
I brought up names? Really...
Well...

Quote:
In the article he states Aiki jujutsu. The difference is Ueshiba changed 'everything' after the war and developed it into what was called Aikido, a name he was completely satisfied with.
Yes, really.

Quote:
Oh I've latched onto have I ? Your assumption.
True, it's my assumpution, but the "everything was changed by Ueshiba after the war" argument is pretty thin these days, in the light of recent historical evidence. That's what I'm referring to.

Quote:
There you go again, using Kisshomaru as a name connected with heavily spun modern blah.
Kisshomaru absolutely spun things - that's been clearly established in the historical record. Peter Goldsbury just posted an entire essay about some of the issues.

Quote:

Do I care or know what Kisshomaru or Tohei said on the subject of budo? Do I mention them as sources to my view on budo? No. Do I need to put them down just to support an argument? No.
Again, I haven't put anybody down - their role after the war is clearly documented, check the evidence. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it, but you're going to be arguing against a massive amount of published work by Stan Pranin and others.

I don't think there's anything wrong in recognizing their acts as they were - they were both giants in the spread of Aikido, why should the truth be seen as putting them down?

Quote:
Budo is love. Now who said that?

Regards.G.
The same guy who said:

敵人の走り来りて"つときは一足よけてすぐに切るべし

"When the enemy comes running forward to strike you must take one step out of the way and cut them down."

Western thinking tends to have one exclude the other. Japanese thinking tends to be less absolute - more on a case by case basis. One of my first instructors got in a fight with some folks from another dojo - after a long lecture on love by Ueshiba the founder came up to him and said "well, how many did you get?". Another direct student (one of the closest) used to rumble regularly in town - with the founder's full knowledge. We don't even have to get started on Arikawa...

Ueshiba was an amazing man all on his own - no need to look at him through rose-colored glasses.

Best,

Chris