View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #10
lbb
United_States
Re: What happens when I go home?

Quote:
Reinaldo Ramos Jr wrote: View Post
This is my dilemma. Is there a way to practice when I am home and in the absence of an uke? What can I do at home to better prepare for returning to class? Slightly frustrated as I feel I forget so much in between class. Any suggestions to help this newbie out?
For the most part, I don't think that you will make much progress trying to practice what you learned in class at home, without an uke. What can you do to better prepare for the next class?
  • Keep a journal. Nothing fancy, and definitely not an online "aiki-blog" -- those serve a different purpose. You are not writing for an audience but for yourself. Instead, just stick a notebook in your gi bag, and after class write down the techniques you did. If you happened to notice something or get some insight in this class, write that down too, but don't expect great epiphanies every day, and don't feel the need to write about how deeply meaningful each class was (because sometimes, a class is just a class). The important thing is to write as soon as possible after every class. Always start by writing down the techniques. If you write nothing else, this will help the techniques to stick in your mind.
  • Stretch after class.
  • After heavy workouts, follow a muscle-recovery diet. Lots to google about this. Always rehydrate, and in hot weather make sure you hydrate adequately between classes and before class.
  • Conditioning, particularly aerobic workouts.
  • Take care of injuries promptly, even if they're just little tweaks. Little tweaks have a way of becoming chronic injuries that can't be ignored.
  • Go about the rest of your life.