View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #33
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Differences between female & male practitioners

I don't think there is any real gender issue. Some women like to train harder and some men are frail and can't handle rough play. Especially in the early days of training. In my dojo we have a nice mix of guys and gals and there is definitely no different treatment between males and females. Each individual is given what they need for their individual training. You really do not want to handle a brand new person up to your more advanced level be they a guy or a girl. If you want to play a bit harder ask your seniors, don't expect it form your juniors. And don't be afraid to tell the boys that they are not doing you any favors by going easy on you because of your being a girl.

Remember that just as much as girls are conditioned never to be violent never to hit never to fight back so boys are also conditioned never to hit a girl or be rough with a girl and doing so even in the dojo is not always easy for them.

I like to be thrown fast and pinned hard sometimes. No one in my dojo has a problem with fulfilling that request. Others in my dojo require gentler handling. I don't have a problem with that either.