View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #140
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Sensei Steven Seagal's ?

Sorry, Graham, my computer still isn't bringing up You tube. But it seems like a good thing to follow your advice.

About Yamada Sensei as an uchideshi, according to the history, Arikawa Sensei threw Yamada Sensei's clothes out the window because it was his space. But he became a good senpai to both Yamada Sensei and Kanai Sensei, who later invited him to seminars and summer camps.

Yamada Sensei's biography is available on the website his European students made for him, and I think there is a link to it thru the NYAikikai website.

In the 1980's people asked about the Aikido in the movies. I answered it looked like really good Aikido technique to me. The broken arms and stuff were because, in the movie, the villians had killed the hero's family members. It was classical Aikido in a law enforcement setting, with whatever added that was necessary...
Anyway, we liked watching the movies, and it did get more of the general public interested in finding out about Aikido...

Just some memories from the eighties....

from someone pushing seventy, as one of my former students just reminded me I am, on the phone about an hour ago.