View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Aikido Aikibojitsu and the Structure of Natural Law

Well, unlike Alex, I'm an amateur. But in my graduate/"professional student" days I spent a lot of time in physics and mathematics. Asymptotes are kind of an interesting topic, I suppose, but the thing here is that the application in this case seems odd. In mathematics I have a fairly good understanding although it seems Mr. Read is focusing on a sort of special case to describe something physical -- like skating just outside the range of something else. The problem for me is that asymptote has a very distinct meaning and asymptotes can intersect the line depending on the function (a wavy line that repeatedly crosses the line but the wave gets smaller and smaller as an example). But anyway, I guess the problem I have is one of instantiation. He's talking about an rather obscure mathematical concept as if it is a physical *thing* of sorts which itself carries all sorts of properties (Alex's point about applying it to the human frame for instance). That seems like one heck of a leap. But maybe it is possible/correct in physics in a way I don't know, but I'm kinda stuck in the mathematical definition. Then again I've been out of school for a quarter century...

Shrug. I can see hints of what he's getting at. But I also find the use of the terms, well, misleading. Then again it might by my limitations.

One issue I have long had is the misuse of highly technical words. Scientific/philosophical jargon tends to lend an air of authority and "accuracy" to writing. Unfortunately if the words are not being used in a sort of "canonical" fashion then we're left with at best confusion and misinterpretation.

That's all I got on this one... I'm sure he could be doing some great stuff. I'm just not so sure about the explanation...