View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
JW

Re: Internal Training Practices within the art of Aikido

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you are talking about, when you use the term "qi gong"?
All I mean is exercising the qi. I think Markus gets to what I am talking about: the basic idea that you can exercise the qi is found in many methods and traditions. Even beyond that, the methods can be remarkably similar, not just related vaguely.

You can exercise the qi for reasons that don't involve neijin, like the Iron Shirt guys. Or you can do it for neijin (I think what you are referring to as "jing.") It's all still qigong, though many people would start throwing around terms like waigong and neigong, a valid topic but would just be thread drift here.

I don't have any reason to think that the practices that you are doing and talking about is in disagreement with what I am referring to. I am just saying those practices were once in many places that you don't necessarily find them anymore. For instance, do you think O-sensei was doing a kind of "qi exercise" that is similar to what you are doing? He was educated in Buddhism (as a kid) Omoto (as an adult) and DR (as an adult). Not Daoist temples, yet he did exercises for the qi that give rise to "neijin." And then the movements were copied by some students, in a way that does not give rise to neijin, which is I think the source of your comment that aikido works with ki in a way "clearly and substantially different from what I know as the way of qi gong." Correct?