View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #35
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: What's the Difference in Aikido Practice During 60's Compared to Now?

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote: View Post
Agreed Tony. That's why I continue to box and grapple. The training is more dynamic. I did an exercise a few weeks ago- ‘what happens after the pin?' It was quite interesting.
But I don't think this is a 60's vs 2009 issue. There were clearly people not using timing, distance, posture, proper body mechanics then as well as now. There's just MORE of it. So I think we have to seek out what we feel is beneficial to our own personal development and not fall into the ‘style' trap…another way to do ikyo, another way to do nikyo, another way to do tenchi nage, etc.

If you attack in my dojo with yourself exposed, chances are you'll get hit. Not hurt, but hit…made aware. At the same time it's expected that you truly attack appropriately for what's being taught.
On the other hand I have no respect or patience for those who abuse authority. Too many times I've seen highly regarded instructors crank on a pin much more than needed, often times hurting uke. What's more amazing to me are those who come back for more abuse…like it's a privilege to be hurt by such and such instructor.

Tony, with regards to ‘intent'. Someone stated to me just the other night that they don't intend to really hit nage when training. They didn't feel ‘right' trying to hurt someone. They thought aikido was about ‘love and harmony'. Again…to each his own but…I think that is really a telling statement and illustrates your point well.
Asim, I think this is the fundamental problem in most training today....... Many times in the past I have had to admonish my students/ukes when they didn't hit/grab/grapple with intent and purposely did not avoid to make sure they did hit me.... if they did, I say good (and block it at the last possible moment!!)..... my more advance students did hit me!! ..... if they got lucky!! But I didn't complain as this is a reminder that I needed to improve as did they...... so sometimes we got the odd bruise but we just smiled and got on with it...... Its probably why when we did have visitors from other clubs come to train, they did not come back for more?..... I know that when my students have gone to practice at other dojo (which I encouraged) they mostly came back saying that they were disappointed in what they found.... this is not arrogance on their part as I always told them to respect what others/they did at other dojo...... in other words keep "thy trap shut" and see what others had to offer.....
So its no wonder things are as they are now.....
I know that my students will try and do their best to sometime find a place for us to reopen...... but that's all in the lap of the "gods" so to speak.
If they don't at least I know that they know I gave them my best and hope that they will carry on that experience as a positive one....

Tony