View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #12
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Injuries in aikido

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I second John Hillson's sentiments, though I have a somewhat different interpretation of Rule 1.
Thank you Peter. I would be very interested in any insights you could offer. I am an English only speaking student on the opposite side of the world who was born after O Sensei died. I have been to Japan only once. I have no indepth understanding.

These are the sources I have laying around home:

"The original intent of bujutsu was to kill an enemy with one blow; since all techniques can be lethal, observe the instructor's directions and do not engage in contests of strength." Budo

"One blow in Aikido is capable of killing an opponent. In practice, obey your instructor, and do not make the practice period a time for needless testing of strength." Aikido by Kisshomaru Ueshiba

"As Aikido is practice by using techniques which are capable of inflicting fatal injuries, practitioners should always heed what their instructor says, and should never participate in contests of strength." From the 1997 issue of "The Aikido" by Aikido world headquarters in Tokyo.

I could not clearly prove they are O Sensei's words perfectly transcribed and translated.

I had read it as is his desire that Aikido would be a competent martial art. The more I read about Kano and his very consistent anti-war stances and his work to make jujitsu practice safe for the students I wonder if the first guideline was marketing against the competition by a military trainer. I know a few teachers who gloss over the dangerous part and latch on to students being obedient.

The challenge I have with some junior students is that they have been told Aikido is not for causing harm, and they've taken it one step too far - that any shihonage variation for example could not possibly cause injury just because it is an Aikido technique.

There is also the idea that ukemi keeps us safe so there is some magical algorithm that will nullify all variations of a technique and rend all attacks harmless. In this logic, if I get hurt then my ukemi wasn't good enough. Kawahara sensei taught that the ukemi could be taken away, or he would show a variation and say the ukemi did not exist.