View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #257
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
Re: Aikibudo/Yoseikan Techniques

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote: View Post
Mochizuki Kancho has a very good point, however I'm trying to see where his words and your example of "teaching" the bully a "lesson" (as in the finger lock case) coincide. Imho when one decides to start "teaching lessons" to bullies one is often not very far from becoming a bully oneself if not careful. It is impossible to protect all potential victims of the bully unless one removes the bully from existence. The question is - does Budo training give one the right to become protector of those perceived to be "weak" and judge over those perceived to be "deviant"?
I said we educate the victims. As a result the bullies will learn that they can not bully. I said if someone chooses to assault you, which is what shoving is, then a finger lock, which gives mild pain, while the lock is on, is a justifiable response. You as the defender should not then go out of you way to inflict unnecessary pain, or humiliate the attacker. The goal is for them to develop humility; the end result should not leave any bitter feelings. This is the goal of Aikido. Your opponent should be your friend.

Regards,

Last edited by wildaikido : 09-30-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Graham Wild