Old 12-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Jujutsu - Yawara -- definitions

Hi all,

Question here for the Japanese speakers. After reading this post:
Quote:
Someone like Ellis Amdur is probably more qualified to expound on this than me, but the distinction between jujutsu and Brazillian jiu-jitsu is not about looking down on anything. It's a historical distinction. "Jujutsu" in Japanese encompasses the varieties of unarmed combat systems created in Japan before the Meiji Restoration. Judo, created in the Meiji Era, is not now considered jujutsu (although at the time the terms were basically interchangable), nor is aikido, which as an independent art is definitely dated to the 20th century. BJJ is a 20th century descendant of Judo, and has been largely refined and developed in a foreign country, so from a nomenclature POV it simply can't be classified with jujutsu. It's methods of training and transmission are also different from jujutsu ryuha. It's not a matter of looking down on BJJ.
In this thread: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...7&page=1&pp=25

I went back to an e-budo thread here: http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...hlight=jujutsu

and wondered about past and present ussages of these words. In my previous posts on this topic, I've always stated that jujutsu is a general category, and pretty much included a whole host of gendai and koryu arts in the broad category. I'm interested in both previous and current usage of the terms jujutsu and yawara in Japanese language.

If someone wants to add their understanding of the broader international use of the terms (especially jujutsu) that would be fine as well.

Thanks, and Best,
Ron (especially hoping Ellis, Peter, Jun will post... )

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)