View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #74
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Is your Aikido as a Martial Art up to Reality?

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
As I've mentioned before, I have over three decades of police work under my belt and have seen my share of violence and evil. One thing that I've learned for certain is that there is always someone just around the corner who is tougher, bigger, stronger, younger, faster, more skilled, better armed, whatever.

I've also learned that unless you are there, at that moment, you haven't much right to judge the action or conduct of another. In the example of the martial artist who supposedly cowered in front of his family, he was there and was able to assess the situation far better than the rest of us Monday Morning Quarterbacks. He saw his physical environment - how close he was to walls and fixed structures, seats, trash cans. He knew the footing, the lighting. He could see the "bad guys" and have an idea of their physical condition, state of sobriety, and other factors. He probably recognized other factors on a subconscious level that he couldn't articulate if we gave him a ream of paper and week to do so. He made a decision based on the totality of the circumstances before him and at least in terms of the safety of his family, he was corrrect. Maybe he was a craven coward and maybe he demonstrated a certain level of restraint. To judge his actions across the internet and across time without having full knowledge of the situation is simply an exercise in making oneself feel good.

When a law enforcement officer is killed or injured in the line of duty, we usually examine the events and use it as a training tool. One of the things I've heard time and time again is something to the effect of "Jones screwed up by doing X and I would never do that." It makes us all feel so much better to know that we would never do X ourselves - until of course we do our own personal X and get hurt.

Aikido works. Karate works, Boxing works. Tai Chi works. Firearms work. Most of the time anyway. I know of one case where the bad guy received several mortal wounds and went on to execute an FBI agent before he died himself.
Your are right it all works..... I carry a shortened down jo at the back of my cab seat, just in case the odds are not favourable. I have never had to use it yet, but it's there as insurance..... There have been times when I have been out in the middle of nowhere.....
IE Six pissed up rugby players have kicked off about the fare!! I am being threatened with physical violence and I have used my powers of persuasion not to let it escalate!! When there is six of them and one of you, with no protection but yourself I can tell you now it isn't a nice feeling..... It's no good calling the old bill because it would take to long for them to get there. All the other cabbies are miles away from (The old bill will have that irritating way of telling you that a crime hasn't been committed yet!!)
After my persuasive chat, they said I had "effing bottle" and even tipped me!! They didn't know about the jo !!
I may have had "effing bottle" but tell that to my quivering rear orrifice!!