View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #1812
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Talking to a boxer once and the history of boxing, him also being now a practitioner of Aikido, he told me how the hammer blow to the head, the straight down blow (along the shomen line) was banned for being too dangerous.

Worth thinking about...

Peace.G.
I had the unfortunate circumstance as a kid at camp to have some tall dude, that wasn't quite there it would seem from his action, come out of know where and nail me in the head with his elbow.
[He said something about doing a 'soup bone" jumped up and bam... wasnt even fighting, he just thought he had a clever idea]

Anyway, yes coming down straight on top of the head can be devastating or feel that way for sure.
I know I never want that experience repeated.

As for boxing, take a look at Thai boxing where you can use elbows, etc. and Im not convinced anyone would get close enough in a match to do a 'shomen' without opening their face up for some bad strikes.

Again, I know the people I have seen in person and via video, definitely would not pull it off with the 'shomen' they show.
But then again I was always under the assumption that shomen was more about coming from the weapons aspect of Aikido - perhaps Peter G. can address this as he is like a historical Aikido encyclopedia.

So if this is true Shomen was really just practicing going against weapons without weapons... not as a move to take out someone. [Again, many know the history better than I do, and from observation I would think this is the case.]

Back in the UFC 1 I would think someone would have tried this as it seems they were doing everything else... Even today its still a bit rough as you have peoples arms braking and arms dislocated, ie. Strikeforce. [Forgot the guy not to long ago who had his upper arm snap from one of the locks.]

At the end of the day its all good... as long as people have fun and are enjoying life thats really the point.

Peace

Dalen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com