View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States
Training in a garage

I have read posts over the years on various forums about people not wanting to say that their dojo was in a garage. Here in St.Louis the old Shobukan dojo was a converted garage. But what a conversion it was. In 1994 I filmed one of our classes. We started at a local school district progran in the gym using the mats that the school had.
Our teacher Dave Lowry decided he wanted to get away from the high school gym and have a private, by invitation only dojo. Any serious person asking to join was always accepted but we did not advertise or promote the dojo. People came to us because they heard about Dave Lowry and sought him out.
I have posted things about how this garage belonging to a women who trained with us was transformed into a dojo by another member who was an awesome carpenter. I am posting a link to an excerpt from the video of the class. Just enough to show what the grounds and dojo were like.
If you watch the short excerpt you will see why I am proud to have trained in this garage with Dave Lowry my sempai.
The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-mv...ature=youtu.be

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.