View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
Chris Knight
England
Re: Experience of Zhan-Zhuang/pile stance

Quote:
a lot of these things would work better with a few minutes of hand-on showing. it takes too much to describe with words and some part you just can't describe to give a good understanding. you heard folks mentioned "It has to be felt" (IHTBF). once two people have crossed hands and established the baseline through physical means, then it's somewhat easier discuss with words. similar to a kiss. once two person kissed, they shared a mutual physical experience, then they can describe it in words, but not before. not that i want to kiss you, mind you, because my wife would have me hang, shot and quartered.
mine two...
i have started to work with basic push tests to try and enbed some ground paths whilst in stance. It isn't easy for me at the minute, but nothing ever is at first I suppose

Quote:
rock solid" legs sounds stiff, be careful. Also how did you measure that your root connection increased 10-fold? Are you referring to partner-push exercises to check progress?
by rock solid, I mean my leg muscle mass has increased quite a lot over the last 12 months through intense core training, but I've noticed a difference even since I've started Zhan Zuang. My legs aren't fixed rigid and I've been practicing movement via circle walking etc. In relation to root connection, I mean that before I started this training, I thought I had some sort of sensitivity to the floor, but now my feet feel much more rooted up through my knees and thighs to my lower back. My weight has dropped to my lower half of my body more so, therefore feeling much more centred.
I've done very basic push exercies but am still in the first stages of this