View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #75
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Partial sucess with Aikido on "the street"

George, I wanted to make it clear that I agree with much of what you wrote there. I think that all of the writings, actions and agendas of those who relate these things to us need to be taken into consideration when we try to wrap our heads around what Aikido is. I do however think that the text that I quoted is relevant and useful at helping to understand how OSensei understood the budo/warrior ideals. Even if later in life, if the goals for his art shifted to that of a spiritual warrior (something that I think is entirely possible) it would seem to me that he would apply that same determination and bravery to that end. I am reminded of a seminar a number of years ago where Motomichi Anno Sensei repeated over and over the ideal of "shinken" training and how important that kind of training was for the Aikidoka to approach the level of skill (and insight) that OSensei had achieved. He was not talking about literally training with shinken, but rather with the seriousness and intensity that using a real weapon creates, and how beneficial that kind of intensity and clarity would be to ones open hand training. I still remember how my batto training shifted when I went from using an iaito to using a shinken every class. It is just a different headspace.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu