View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Int. Vs. Ext - resisting a push

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
The thing is, you never want to really let that force come in, because it will effect you. That is the inherent weakness in structure. If your structure is compromised, there are ways to fix it, but it is of course dangerous to you when you are trying to fix it.

You always want to redirect it in some other way, because if it starts to effect you, and the other guy is skilled/strong enough, you will loose. If they aren't all that skilled, then you might be able to recover, and the other person will feel it kind of switch from on-off-back on as you can re-establish within yourself.
Okay, again, this makes perfect sense to me. However this is different then body function, and gets into another area. I see these two important distinctions.

Area 1- How I use my body to do work.

Area 2- How I keep others from applying force to me.

Area 1, is a large avenue of athletic practice. The main idea is simply how do I most efficiently use my body to do work. This kind of body use should apply in many different areas where the body moves in the same way.

Area 2 is a more specific thing, that has to do with a specific situation involving you and an attacker. In this area how well your body can take loads and make force are not so important, however ways that you can keep others from making force on you is important.

If we have a problem with a heavy rock that we need to move.

'Area 1' can help us train to move that rock. We can improve the force and function of our body so that moving the rock is possible.

Study in 'Area 2' will never improve our ability to move the rock. The rock is inanimate, and simply sits there being heavy.

If our problem is winning a Judo match against a physically superior athlete.

If the athlete remains physically superior to us, no matter how powerful and efficient we make our body (we'll assume he is more genetically gifted and also trains his body constantly) further study in 'Area 1' will not yield improved results.

However, if our competitor is only working on making his body stronger, 'Area 2' may help us overcome him. If we learn methods that will not allow him to use is physical superiority on us, we can nullify his physical advantage.

I like talking about both 'Areas', but we need to keep them distinct and clear in this kind of discussion.

Quote:
If you are able to balance those forces within yourself, the other person won't be able to compromise you, unless you screw it up within yourself when you move.
I see "balance the forces within yourself" quite a lot. I'm not sure what exactly that is suppose to mean.

If we were talking about taking force in, I can understand that. The idea being that force is exerted on you, and you 'balance' that force by letting it come into the ground through your body (within you). This would keep the force from doing anything via your alignment to the ground, 'balancing it'.

If you don't let the force come into you, but always more yourself so there is not much force coming in, I don't exactly see how that is 'within you'.