View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 03:03 AM   #12
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: Crazy Ki demonstration by Barrish Sensei

I agree with most posted above. I thought that it was actually quite an interesting video. I wish I could get hold of it to add to my collection. From the physical aspect, I thought there was a lot of good stuff in there, Barrish sensei had very nice movement at times. There were a number of instances that, as previously mentioned, over stretch rational thinking, uke's seemed to fall at points when not neccessary, or overplay the ukemi. Having said that, there was a lot of atemi in there, if the uke's believe that they are going to get clocked if they don't move, then some of the movement was justified. I think I would like to uke for him, with an open mind. If O Sensei were alive today performing similar feats, how would we be reacting here? I do think that video will fuel a lot of fire, but it also provides a lot of food for thought.

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
The spritualism/philosophy I could do without.
I thought it was actually a plus point that someone was making an effort to explain parts of Aikido philosophy in English. As far as O Sensei was concerned, the philosophy is key to Aikido, it was adding shinto philosophy amongst others, that changed his Daito Ryu to Aikido. More effort should be made to try an understand it, for without it we are not really doing Aikido, we are merely doing Jujutsu techniques.

If anyone knows how I can obtain a copy of this please let me know.

rgd
Bryan

Last edited by batemanb : 01-01-2007 at 03:05 AM.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"