Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #107
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
exerpt from a speeh by the Dali Lama:

"I want to make it clear, however, that although I am deeply opposed to war, I am not advocating appeasement. It is often necessary to take a strong stand to counter unjust aggression. For instance, it is plain to all of us that the Second World War was entirely justified. It "saved civilization" from the tyranny of Nazi Germany, as Winston Churchill so aptly put it. In my view, the Korean War was also just, since it gave South Korea the chance of gradually developing democracy. But we can only judge whether or not a conflict was vindicated on moral grounds with hindsight."
To judge in retrospect such things and revert back to 'moral grounds' for me is a matter of intellect and pretty useless really. That doesn't mean don't do it for still things can be learned but unfortunately from my view the important things are not learned from such a process.

No, I prefer to look at the thing itself, war. It is the result of ignorance.

Now, knowing that we may search for a time or place where it was necessary, still knowing it is a result of ignorance rather than justifying it. Therefor to remember that it of itself is always bad, evil and can never be otherwise.

We can therefor in this wide universe come across situations where we have apparently no option but thus this shows only that we can be 'forced' into doing evil. It doesn't magically make it right or good.

So wisdom dictates that there is always a better way and so also dictates that is is up to us to become more wise. Justifying war as right or good does not lead to more wise, it actually give sthe excuse, if you won, to carry on being ignorant.

These are my views.

Regards.G.