View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Re: Can somebody who's never thrown a person, claim they can - and do - throw people?

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
No, you can't say you can throw someone unless you test yourself, and strive for honesty with that testing.

But what does that mean, do we need to change the way aikido classes go? You could do it outside of class. There's a lot you have to do outside of class-- tanren for instance. I consider tanren and testing to be the majority of my training, and they happen outside of class.

Folks at the Kobukan did sumo (sounds like informal, outside of class stuff). I think what you describe is right-on, but it can to some degree be done informally with BJJ friends, instead of actual enrollment in another art.

I'm happy with classes not including this, as long as I can do it on my own. What we do in class takes a lot of attention and study, and should make your randori better. So I'm inclined to say there is a time and place for everything-- emphasizing this kind of randori in classes is certainly one way to go. Or, maybe having a few open-mat sessions a week just for this would be best.
My point, I guess, is that you shouldn't have to do it outside of class...

That interview was excellent, thank you; he made some really good points - especially about training multiple martial arts, and how most aikidoka are easy to throw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_J4IYf7SM

Like it or not, that's what would happen to most aikidoka, if they came up against any grappler who trains with aliveness.
And part of the deficiency in aikido, is the same kind of deficiency BJJ shows up in judo: it presupposes too much, because of the culture it grew up in.
So if you throw, or pin, someone, then that tends to be it: you've theoretically finished them; same with atemi: it's theoretically devestating/effective - but in reality, certainly outside of weapons-based conflicts, the person continues to be a threat.
I've sparred with olympic, and black belt, judoka, in BJJ, and they couldn't submit me; I was shocked - but they still have proven martial ability (besides 'I decided not to walk home at night in the bad part of town because my aikido sense told me it was bad ma-ai...').