View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #63
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Kokyu explanation

Quote:
Fred Little wrote:
Keep your eye on the prize: Sokushin Jobutsu.
Why not Taoist Immortality? Or other esoteric ideals? Have you reached Buddha-hood that you're speaking from experience?
Quote:
The rest, up to and included full mastery of "jin" or "kokyu" are mere trinkets and baubles, however functionally related to the mundane core which is your primary object of interest.
Are these, by any chance, baubles and trivializable trinkets that you already happen to have? If so, name me one student of yours who has these things, since you are an instructor with his sign hanging out.

I think we may be talking past each other (correct me if I'm wrong) in the sense that you're accepting a spiritual connotation about some of these "trinkets and baubles" because they were couched in spiritual terms, in those olden days. Let me remind you that common illnesses were also couched in spiritual terms in olden days and that they can now be discussed pretty accurately using "engineering terms", as horrible as that might sound to someone who prefers his explanations be wrapped in obscurity.
Quote:
But there's no need to take my word for anything. Instruction can be found, the practice can be done, you find it beneficial or you don't.
That's precisely the point I've been trying to make, Fred. This "take my word for it that such-and-such works or feel good" needs to be laid aside in favor of someone laying out some demonstrable facts. I will study levitation with someone only after I'm convinced they know what they're talking about and that they can demonstrate it. In other words, I'm encouraging you to offer substantive explanations in place of poetry.
Quote:
You're talking about structural engineering. I'm talking about architecture. I see the first as necessary for the second to be functional, but not enough to make it touch not only the sky, but truth and beauty.

But truth and beauty can be intoxicating delusions, which is why a structural engineer is always required to sign and seal the final plans.
I'll take your word for it, Fred. Without the laws of physics, there would be no architecture to build either a log cabin or a castle.

Mike