View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #450
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
This is one of the faults in general Aikido training. Of course unless you have a spectacular Uke who can endure the whole Ukemi process and let you unleash the technique to it's fullest intent. This way the Tori doesn't understand why certain techniques are done in a certain way and towards what point should they progress.
You missed the point. We practice, with partners, all the techniques of the aikido curricula. There are no techniques that we do only solo kata and "call it good".

Quote:
This depends also on the student at hand. Not everybody reacts to a situation in the same manner and to the same efficiency. Off course one must learn techniques and moves for certain situations but that doesn't guarantee success.
My example was of no technique to address a situation. Like full mount. That is, the art doesn't address it at all. Like no newaza in Aikido. That's fine as long as the student knows that and doesn't go forth thinking "that will never happen". For example, my primary aim in Aikido was never self defense.

Quote:
Again, one of the faults in general Aikido training, from my experience it depends heavily on the context in which someone conducts their training. Some people can take shots to the head without it bothering their performance, the simple answer is adrenalin.
Getting right to the point, I'm talking about schools where they never practice with resistance. Him being done unto just goes with it. Again, that's fine as long as him doing unto doesn't have unrealistic expectations.

As far as people taking shots to the head without it degrading their performance, they just haven't been hit hard enough yet. As force scales up, it will eventually degrade their performance.

Quote:
But the whole point in training should be to avoid unnecessary situation where someone could afflict damage and you could have avoided that situation in the first place.
There, we can just agree to disagree. It is wonderful to train to avoid situations. But, that might not be everyone's goal. Some train for personal improvement, some train for competition, some train for self defense, some train just because it's fun. Many train for all.

Quote:
I honestly didn't think this would be an issue. It's a known fact that all combat sport athletes train and spar with heavier members so they could get in better overall condition (technical and physical). especially for competition purposes.
*ALL*? Please back up that assertion.

Greg Jennings